Monday, January 11, 2010

The Cyclone



A few weeks before Christmas I experienced my
first hurricane. Apparently a cyclone is a tropical
hurricane. It was officially called Cyclone Nick.
The outer edge of the storm hit Suva, so even
though I thought it was EXTREMELY windy, we
didn't get the worst of it. The storm went right
down the middle of the island and many homes
were destroyed and filled with mud and water.
It was amazing that only two people were killed.
Our flat, and the mission office, were without
power for two days. Many areas didn't have
water or power for over a week. I feel very
lucky, as I love electricity! We used every
towel in the flat to mop up the water that came
through the doors and windows. Things got wet,
but nothing was damaged....another blessing.






I kept looking out my window during the storm
because there is a big palm tree a few feet
from the window. I convinced myself during
the night that palm trees are very strong and
probably very flexible and probably don't blow
down. The next morning when I went outside,
I discovered that our neighbor's palm tree had
indeed blown over. Oh well that little bit of self
talk helped me sleep that night!



I live in a very nice flat.....but not a very "tight"
flat. The rain poured in from under the doors
and through the windows.




No comments:

Post a Comment